About Popular Mechanix
Serving the San Francisco Bay Area since 1983.
We are open Mon. thru Thurs. during the 2020 health crisis, an essential city service.
Andy and his crew always take fantastic care of my Volvo XC 90.
Now, in these scary times they went one step further by coming to my house to pick up,
and then dropping my car off when the service was finished. They also thoroughly disinfected my car
to help keep me and my family safe from the coronavirus. Wow.
– Nancy & Mark, April 3, 2020
- Your Independent Volvo Specialist in San Francisco
- Maintain your New Car Warranty with our service!
- Serving satisfied Bay Area Volvo owners since 1983
- Your “Dealership Alternative”
- Complimentary loaner Volvos by appointment
- Volvo factory software downloads & updates
- All repairs fully guaranteed for 2 years
- Pre-purchase inspections
- Same-day service available
- FREE morning shuttle service
- Servicing all Volvo models and years
- Top rating by NPR’s Car Talk radio show.
- Humane rates
- HOURS (for Coronavirus): Mon-Thurs: 7:30am-5:45pm
Got 5 min?
Covid-19 Safe, Sanitized PICKUP & DELIVERY Service
If you’re working from home, or sheltering-at-home, get your car serviced, SAFELY, while staying at home! Now may be the right time to have your car repaired or serviced if you’re not using it much, but want it ready to go when you do.
We’re now offering a safe, mindful and FREE pickup & return service. We’ll make the repairs you authorize (as usual), and then DISINFECT your car before returning it to you. Your car will be cleaner — free of germs virus, bacteria — than it was before.
We will protect you and your family; we will protect ourselves and our families. We’re all in this together.
OUR Covid-19 SAFETY & DISINFECTING POLICIES follow the best science on how to eliminate virus transmissions. We want to protect you and your families. We want to protect ourselves and our families. We’re all in this together.
- only our employees who are asymptomatic work in our shop (which to date is everyone);
- all of us will maintain the recommended safe “social distance” from you, our valued customers; bowing replaces handshakes
- everyone in the shop, our service writers, our manager, to our technicians wear gloves when in contact with anything YOU might touch (including, obviously, your vehicle)
- new gloves are used for each car we work on
- after completion of repairs, each car’s non-porous surfaces — door handles, steering wheel, seats (if not fabric), arm rests, etc. — are wiped down with a disinfectant solution that kills all viruses (and germs and bacteria) in 30 seconds
- Fabric seats, and all seats, are covered with paper mats so our team’s clothing won’t come into contact with your car’s interior
Questions, concerns, or comments? Please call us: 415-621-0376, or email us: firstname.lastname@example.org
In 1981, Popular Mechanix founder and owner Andy Gescheidt opened a Volvo specialty repair shop with the spiffy name, Million Mile Motors, in San Francisco’s South of Market neighborhood between 9th and 10th Streets, and between Folsom and Howard. “We fixed anything that rolled,” Andy recalls. “We shared the building with another repair shop called Perpetual Motors. But neither shop was destined to continue. In 1983, the San Francisco Fire Department condemned our unreinforced masonry building and both auto repair shops found themselves homeless.”
Andy and Perpetual Motors owner Ed Wolf decided to join forces, specializing in Volvos. They became partners, named their new business Popular Mechanix and established Popular Mechanix in 1983 in the space on 14th Street it occupies today, over 35 years later! Andy became the sole owner in 1992. One of Andy’s very first customers, Peter Rothe, helped Andy start Popular Mechanix through its predecessor Million Mile Motors with a $500 loan as working capital. Peter has since owned five Volvos and remains a loyal customer to this day!
In 1998, Andy was the victim of a freak accident, which almost took his life and shut down Popular Mechanix. A trolley pole from a San Francisco Muni bus de-wired, fell toward the sidewalk — and struck Andy in the back of the head as he was walking down Market Street on a Saturday afternoon. He was knocked down to the sidewalk, fracturing his skull. He was in a coma for a month and fought for his life. But live he did, and has since made a miraculous recovery. He’s been back at work full-time for over two decades — loving and appreciating every minute of his life and his passion for his work. When Andy says it is a pleasure to see you and to serve you, he means it in a sincere and profound way! He says he owes his recovery in large part to Dr. Claudia Osborne whose book, Over My Head, about her own brain injury suffered in a car accident, helped his recovery immeasurably.
Popular Mechanix, the Volvo specialist,
services and repairs other makes too!
Many loyal customers have requested we work on their non-Volvos too, so we added this convenience. Our ASE-certified master technicians Lawrence, EJ, and Samson loved the idea of adding variety to the shop. I applaud their enthusiasm and know their decades of experience prepares them to tackle any mechanical conundrum. So you can bring in your “other” car, and we can help.
Popular Mechanix cares about our environment!
Popular Mechanix does everything it can to protect and preserve our environment by properly disposing of used oil products, recycling and selling used car parts, and offering used cars. You can also protect our ecosystems by making sure your car doesn’t have leaks that run into the street, then drain into sewers, and streams, bays, and the ocean. Leaks can come from a variety of sources in your Volvo.
If you detect a leak, call us immediately. You’ll ensure the safe, efficient operation of your car — and protect our fragile environment. Americans spill 180 million gallons of used oil into waterways each year — 16x the amount of oil spilled in Alaska by the Exxon Valdez!
Yes – We also have parakeets!
Refreshingly pleasant folks!
Straightforward, truthful, thoughtful communication every single time. Top-notch work. Popular Mechanix should be the model for how business is done.
I get my maintenance done there religiously and have not been disappointed. They wash the car after each service and are always done on time. Couldn’t ask for more!
WHERE TO FIND US
Andrew Gescheidt, Owner
#252 14th St.
(between Mission St. & S. Van Ness)
San Francisco, CA 94103
Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs
(closed Fridays during Covid-19 crisis)